Allergic to guinea pigs?

If you find yourself sneezing, scratching your eyes, scratching your skin and blowing your nose every time you handle your pet, congratulations: you may be allergic to guinea pigs. If the first thing that comes to your mind now is “guinea pig hair”, you can discard that thing in space, because allergens are transmitted through the guinea pig’s saliva, urine and secretions from the skin glands. The hairs can transmit those small elegant allergens only in close contact with the animal. Most commonly allergic reactions to guinea pigs manifested as:

  • rhinitis: Your nose becomes closed and dripping all the time.
  • Conjunctivitis: Eye infection (roughly speaking)
  • Asthma: Causes breathing difficulties.
  • Eczema: Itchy and scaly rash.

If you suspect that you may actually be allergic, the first thing to do is visit your doctor and allergist and test yourself specifically for guinea pig allergies.

If the test turns positive, you will know you are allergic to guinea pigs. You will need to conduct immunotherapy.

However, if the test turns negative on guinea pig allergies, you will have to dig deeper into finding the cause of the symptoms. This can include hay or bedding materials (aspen, pine). To test this theory, try a completely omit these materials for 1 weekand see what happens. Use fleece, towels, paper and shredded paper for a bed around this time. Use patience because your guinea pigs will hate your instinct not to give them their beloved hay for an entire week. You will also need to wash the cage, accessories and guinea pigs to remove potentially irritating leftovers. If the symptoms subside after a week, then you are closer to finding your culprit.

To relieve allergy symptoms, do not keep the guinea pig cage in the bedroom. You will have difficulty breathing and sleeping normally if the nose becomes full due to allergens. Try to isolate your bedroom from other rooms, ventilate it with fresh air and / or use some air filters and purifiers. When you keep your pet, use towels instead of keeping it on clothes and body. If you are, keep it on your clothes, these clothes must go. For a wash. Also, always wash your hands and do it thoroughly. Do not leave your pet near the head and neck, because they have thinner skin and are therefore more sensitive. Keep hay and bedding material away from your bedroom, living room and all other “usual” rooms.

Source from:
https://ezinearticles.com/?Allergic-to-Guinea-Pigs?&id=7377366

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *