Drinking detox tea is a popular practice to lose weight. Detox teas contain antioxidants that help flush out toxins and reduce inflammation. They also rejuvenate the body and mind (1). But with so many detox tea brands on the market, finding the best one can be a challenge.
To make your life easy, we have curated a list of the 10 best detox teas for weight loss. Scroll down!
Note: You must also eat a balanced diet and work out regularly to lose weight. Herbal teas may cause stomach discomfort. Talk to your doctor before you start drinking them.
What Is Detox Tea?
A detox tea is a blend of traditional teas like green tea, oolong tea, white tea, black tea, and pu-erh with the right amounts of herbs, flowers, stems, spices, etc.
How Do Detox Teas Aid Weight Loss?
Detox teas can aid weight loss by improving the metabolic rate and decreasing water weight (by increasing the urinary output). Regular consumption of detox teas might offer positive results in terms of weight loss. However, it does not result in fat loss. You will need to make lifestyle changes, follow good food habits, and exercise, along with drinking detox teas, to lose fat.
Note: Detox teas aren’t regulated by the FDA and may contain ingredients or additives that may be detrimental to your health in the long run. Excessive consumption of detox teas may lead to bloating, dehydration, diarrhea, electrolyte imbalance, gas, and nausea. Hence, it is important to consult a dietitian before going for detox teas, especially if you want to lose weight.
Let us now take a look at the 10 best detox teas for weight loss. Scroll down.
Best Detox Teas For Weight Loss
Chamomile, hibiscus, cinnamon, senna, rosehips, peppermint, ginger, gynostemma, papaya, echinacea, and flavors.
Total Tea Gentle Detox tastes great and is fast-acting. Initially, you may have to go to the washroom frequently as the tea first cleanses the colon. After 2-3 days, bloating and any discomfort will disappear. You will also start to notice an improvement in your energy levels and productivity. Soon after, you will see visible changes in your appearance, get a flat tummy, and be highly motivated to eat and live healthily.
- Tastes great
- Helps you lose weight quickly
- Reduces stress
- May cause stomach ache initially
Cinnamon, ginger root, long pepper berry, clove bud, cardamom pod, dandelion root, licorice root, burdock root, Indian sarsaparilla root, black pepper, rhubarb root, Chinese skullcap root, gardenia fruit, coptis root, forsythia fruit, and Japanese honeysuckle flower.
Yogi Detox Healthy Cleansing Formula has helped many people with digestion issues and other health problems. The ingredients in this tea help reduce bloating, improve metabolism, and reduce weight and stress levels.
- USDA certified organic
- Cleanses the system and reduces bloating
- Improves sleep quality
- No artificial sweeteners or flavors
- The spicy taste may not appeal to everyone.
- It may irritate your digestive tract initially.
Dandelion root, blessed thistle aerial parts, lemongrass, lemon peel, peppermint leaf, hibiscus flowers, ginger root, licorice root, rose hips, and coriander seeds.
A soothing combination of the ingredients makes this tea taste like drops of fresh dew in the morning. It has a subtle hint of spice and is great for clearing blocked airways and detoxifying and re-energizing your body.
- Reasonably priced
- Tastes good
- No unpleasant aftertaste
- Might take some time to get used to the flavor of the tea.
Senna, honeybush, orange peel, dandelion, ginger, fennel, grapefruit, alfalfa, rosehips, burdock, lemongrass, black walnut, sarsaparilla nettle, and natural flavoring.
Hint Wellness – 14 Day Detox Tea claims to be a great weight loss and detox agent that reduces bloating, cleanses the colon, flushes out the extra water in the body, and makes you feel good and healthy within 14 days.
Note: If you are pregnant or nursing or under any medication, avoid consuming this tea.
- Aids quick weight loss
- Improves sleep
- Reduces stress
- May cause mild stomach cramps initially.
Decaffeinated green tea, chamomile, lemongrass, spearmint, tilia flowers, lemon and jasmine natural flavors, orange blossoms, hawthorn, vitamin C, and rosebuds.
Celestial Seasonings Green Tea is the perfect blend of natural ingredients that help you calm down and induce sleep. When you get proper rest, your brain and body function in harmony and lower stress levels in the body. This can aid quick weight loss and improve your overall health.
- Induces sleep
- Refreshing and rejuvenating effect
- May not be suitable for everyone to drink right before bed.
Burdock root, dandelion leaf, fenugreek, nettle leaf, tulsi, rosemary, spearmint, and other natural ingredients.
V tea T-tox 14 Day Detox Tea claims to induce weight loss within 14 days. It works by boosting the body’s metabolism and suppressing appetite. Since it doesn’t contain the natural laxatives, i.e., senna leaves, you will not be rushing to the washroom frequently. It is completely safe to take this tea to work or school for consumption later in the day.
- Smells and tastes good
- Makes you more active and alert
- Boosts metabolism
- No laxative effect
- Not all ingredients are disclosed on the label.
- May not be effective for weight loss for everyone within 14 days.
Lemon peel, ginger root, blackberry leaves, natural lemon and ginger flavors, lemongrass, and citric acid.
You get a pack of Twinings detox tea at a reasonable price. The teabags are easy to use and have helped many people reduce extra weight. This tea helps relieve stress, prevents constipation, boosts metabolism, and tastes great. Have it during breakfast or between lunch and evening snack for quick weight loss.
- Tastes good
- Suppresses appetite
- Boosts immunity
- The taste may not appeal to everyone.
- The packaging is not that sturdy.
Pomegranate, ginger root, matcha green tea, garcinia cambogia extract, rooibos leaf, green tea leaf, guarana seed, oolong wu yi leaf, lemon juice, sea salt, citric acid, stevia, and natural flavors.
If you are not a fan of bitter-tasting teas, BaeTea is perfect for you. Its sweet and sour taste is an instant refresher and mood-booster. This tea doesn’t cause any irritation, reduces bloating, and aids quick weight loss.
- Tastes great
- Reduces bloating
- Cleanses the colon
- Boosts weight loss
- Contains caffeine
Green tea, cinnamon, orange peel, fennel, ginger, pomegranate, senna, cacao, and natural flavors.
Green Root Tea is a low-calorie detox tea that tastes and smells great. It has a soothing effect and helps reduce bloating. Regular drinkers of this tea claim to have seen visible results within 2-3 weeks. It also helps boost immunity and brain function.
- Contains organic ingredients
- Reduces stress
- Aids weight loss
- Increases circulation
- Tastes great
- Can consume it as iced tea as well
- Contains caffeine
- The taste may not appeal to all.
Chicory root, licorice root, star anise fruit, Schisandra fruit dry extract, dandelion root, Lycium fruit dry extract, Schisandra fruit, kukicha twig, and ginger rhizome.
The formulation of Traditional Medicinals Organic EveryDay Detox Tea is based on traditional Chinese medicine. It is mild and does not shock the body with a super-extra dose of ingredients. This tea helps stimulate the body’s natural detoxification process and does not put too much strain on your liver.
- Supports healthy liver function
- Mild and tastes good
- Boosts the body’s natural detoxification process
- May have an unappetizing taste.
These are the 10 best detox teas that help you reduce weight. Apart from weight loss, detox teas have many other benefits.
Detox Tea Benefits
- Cleanses the liver.
- Reduces stress and inflammation in the body.
- It contains antioxidants that may help reduce the risk of cancer.
- It contains beneficial phytonutrients that help slow down aging.
- It has an energizing effect.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Prevents and cures many skin diseases.
- Imparts a subtle glow to the skin.
Detox teas are herbal teas – and these too have side effects if you go overboard. Here’s a list of side effects.
Detox Tea Side Effects
It may cause
- abdominal pain when consumed in excess
- your liver and kidney to get overworked
- headache, nausea, and dehydration
You should take the following precautions before consuming detox teas.
- Children, pregnant and lactating women, and people on medications should stay away from detox teas.
- Most detox teas are not FDA-approved. Hence, you must consult your doctor before consuming any detox tea.
Sipping on a detox tea may help you lose some weight. Ensure you have the tea between meals and during snack time to reap its benefits. Talk to your doctor before including detox teas in your regimen. Focus on healthy eating habits, manage your lifestyle, and keep moving around to lose weight in a healthy manner.
Stylecraze has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.
- How Effective Are Antioxidant Supplements in Obesity and Diabetes?, Medical Principles and Practice, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Effectiveness of green tea on weight reduction in obese Thais: A randomized, controlled trial. Physiology & Behavior, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Oolong tea increases metabolic rate and fat oxidation in men. The Journal of Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Effects of black tea on body composition and metabolic outcomes related to cardiovascular disease risk: a randomized controlled trial. Food & Function, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
Charushila Biswas is a Senior Content Writer and an ISSA Certified Fitness Nutritionist. She is an alumni of VIT University, Vellore and has worked on transgenic wheat as a part of her Masters dissertation from NRCPB (IARI), New Delhi. After completing her Masters, she developed a passion for nutrition and fitness, which are closely related to human psychology. And that prompted her to author a review article in 2015. She has written over 200 articles on Fitness and Nutrition. In her leisure time, Charushila loves to cook and enjoys mobile photography.
Our Sister Sites
Copyright © 2011 – 2020 Incnut Digital. All rights reserved.
StyleCraze provides content of general nature that is designed for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Click here for additional information .